Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lucy, Dixie and Daisy


Meet Lucy, Dixie, and Daisy.  These are my backyard friends.  I let them out of the coop in the late afternoons so they can wander my yard and eat any bugs they find.  Then, at dusk they wander back to their home and put themselves to bed.  Before I go to bed, I go out and say goodnight, shut the coop and say something silly like, "Good night girls.  Lay me some eggs in the morning!"

 In the winter they like to come to the  kitchen french glass door and look in the house pathetically hoping that someone will throw them a snack.  Lucy is closest to the window looking in authoritatively.  She is definitely in charge.  Daisy is also close to the windo, but turned toward the yard in case she has to run away quickly.  Dixie is in back with the little pink comb.  It is little and pink now because she has been molting.  She is the scardy cat, lowest on the totem pole cutie.  She runs away first and is always last to eat anything.  Their favorite treat is to have one of the kids take a string cheese to the door and stand on the porch tearing off strings and tossing it into the yard.  They scramble to grab and gobble them up.  Then, they happily give me a few eggs faithfully.

Last year I brought them home as baby, day old chicks.  They now have a comfortable home, er...coop in the backyard.  I think this Spring I'll add three or four more in a separate coop who can give me brown eggs.  That sounds fun.  I can't wait to take Brad to go pick out a few more little baby chicks!

These girls are my favorite pets ever!  They are super low maintainance and they give me something back every day.  Such a deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment